If you don’t have paper checks, you can still enjoy the benefits of direct deposit. A checking account is a highly liquid transaction account held at a financial institution that allows deposits and withdrawals. Chase, for example, is one of the larger banks offering checkless checking. However, you want to make sure the word is clearly seen so that thieves can’t write in voided check any information and cover up the word. You don’t need to sign the check or add any other information when you’re voiding it. Next, list the check in your check register so that you don’t forget where it went. Also, ensure it’s written across the entire check, but don’t write over the information at the bottom of the check since it includes important banking information.
Make a note in your check registerso that you’ll know where the check went. With Adobe, for example, you can add a password to a PDF by using the Protect menu. If you don’t have Adobe software, you can encrypt passwords online, as well. I don’t see a real threat with this guy due to his lack of knowledge of banking systems.
Mistakes on Checks
There is a possibility that a lost check could end up in the wrong hands. Notifying your bank will help make sure they are on notice regarding the potential for unauthorized transactions. They may be able to change your account number or even recommend closing your bank account and creating a completely new account and checks. The short answer is yes, someone can use a voided check to steal money from you.
You can always contact us and we’ll help you with whatever you need, as soon as possible. Another important thing is to use a black marker or a pen that can’t be erased, making it easier for thieves to use it as a blank check. Once you have a void check, make sure to write it down and keep track of where it went in case you get confused later on. What all could this person do with this account information if the check is voided? The other person is not a smart man and doesn’t have a bank account of their own.
On the other hand, if you want to void a check you’ve already given to someone, you have to get your bank involved. Update your checkbook and note the check number to avoid confusion later on. If you need to void a check for any reason but don’t have one, there are workarounds you can try. This content is not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the bank advertiser, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser.
- It’s typically written in large letters, so it cannot be mistaken for cash use.
- Many banks, even if they don’t provide pre-voided checks, offer direct deposit forms.
- For example, you might end up bouncing other checks or missing payments because there’s not enough money for necessary payments.
- Becoming financially independent involves knowing how to deal with your finances and checks.
- All you really need to provide is your account number and the bank’s routing information.
- There are a number of reasons why you may want to void a check, such as fixing a mistake, preventing loss from fraud, or using it to set up other payment methods.
To recap, here are the most common scenarios in which you may need to know how to void a check. Khadija Khartit is a strategy, investment, and funding expert, and an educator of fintech and strategic finance in top universities. She has been an investor, entrepreneur, and advisor for more than 25 years.
Why would I void a check?
Alternatively, you can check whether your bank will allow you to print a void cheque directly from your online banking portal. If this is an option, you won’t need to keep physical cheques on you.
You probably won’t use this check for anything, so keeping it is risky because it can be used for fraud. Try to keep a record of all your checks and write down what you did with every single one. Make copies and keep them in a separate folder safe and secure. If you need to destroy a void cheque, you’ll need to destroy the physical copy of the cheque . Put a stop payment on that specific cheque or close the account linked to the void cheque. By writing “void” on a personal cheque, you eliminate the ability for any recipient to cash it. Since there is no cash value and you haven’t signed or dated it anywhere, it will not expire.
How To Void a Check the Right Way
This is because anyone can fill it out and withdraw money from your bank account. A simple rule to remember would be to treat checks like cash. This is why employers ask for a voided check to set up direct deposit, not a blank one. Employers may ask for a voided check to help them https://www.bookstime.com/ set up direct deposit and you may need to void a check for other purposes, so it’s handy to know how. However, there are some alternatives to voided checks — like counter checks, a letter from your bank, or bank deposit slips — if you don’t have a paper check readily available.
- The bank should be able to provide you with a form that contains information such as the type of your bank account, the account number, routing number, and other relevant details.
- Even if you void the check, the numbers are still visible, and that image may exist—meaning it can be copied or stolen—for many years.
- Don’t write over the banking number information at the bottom of the check.
- Once you’ve voided a check, try to ensure it’s either disposed of or kept safely with other sensitive files.
If you need a voided check to set up direct deposit with your employer, you have a couple of choices. You can take a check from your checkbook and write “void” across it in large letters and provide the check to your employer.
You will not have the protection with a debit card that you have when you pay with a credit card. Frequently, employers require you to submit a voided check in order to record your account information and set up direct deposit for your paychecks. When you need to give your banking information to someone else for a legitimate purpose, a voided check can be handy. The person receiving your voided check can use that information to set up an electronic transaction for your account.
What if a scammer has my bank details?
- Step 1 – Tell your Bank. The first and most important step is to tell your bank what has happened as soon as possible.
- Step 2 – Change your Passwords. The next important thing to do is change every password and PIN number you can.
- Step 3 – Report It.